What can I keep in my 5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, I have a friend who does a few large salt water tanks, and he knows I am starting up my 5 gallon (pick up live rock otmorrow if paycheck comes in) I have a 20 watt 10K light over it, now, I am under the impression that any type of croals require actinic lighting, howeer he told me that he doesnt run it on his soft coral tank, and that he is going to ship me some soft corals once my tank is has been up for a few months.

My quistion, is there any typeof soft corals that can be kept under a tank with only 10K light nad no actinic?

I believe all corals can be kept without actinic, but they just won't look as nicely, or flouresce color as well. So, to answer your question...any of them. :)

ok thanks. I picked up my live rock today, I am gonna try and get pics up late this weekend for yall to see. I found my first hitchhiker, a crab, body length about 1/4 inch maybe a tad more, short stumpy legs I think. I havent seen him out and about, only quick movement when I walked back in to the room. Plus a few smaller snails, some polyps I think, and a sponge of some sort as well. There is one other thing on one of the rocks I cannot identify will try and get pics of that as well

That is good to hear BTW, the guy at the LFS also said I may be able to do some of the more common soft corals, the poly colonies and a few others. Gonna try and stick with the hardier ones since it is a nano and this is my first dable in saltwater.

ok Ia m using my gfs dig camera...so I dont know much about it..in fact, I suck at taking pictures. none of em on the tank came out, especially the close ups of the hitchhikers..(I have one I am concerned about since I have NO IDEA what it is) So any tricks to taking pics of a tank? and close up pics?

Usually, turn off the flash and set it on an action setting if it has one (usually like a little guy running as the icon). This speeds up the shutter so you get less lag in the pictures. For taking close up shots, turn on the macro setting (which on my camera is a little flower close to the LED screen). HTH

Back
Top Bottom