Aggressive Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I've recently added a nem to my tank and since this the female clown has become VERY aggressive, she will bite me as soon as my hands in the tank and no longer is paired up with the male, she just bites him every opportunity she gets :hide: and then goes and gets snuggled in the nem.

Is this normal behaviour? Will she let the male in eventually?

:thanks:

I've heard clowns can become more aggressive or territorial when hosting, but haven't experienced it myself, although my clown hosts a feather duster she doesn't let the male in the feather duster, and I had a domino damsel that hosted an anemone and didn't let another damsel near it, so I'd say it fairly common you just have a fish that has more than the usual increase in aggression lol. You have to admire their spirit trying to run you out of the tank, your about 500 times their size lol.

My clown does the same thing had to seperate her from the male for a while

That happened with me about a year ago I just started Getting in to the hobby and then one day I added a mimic tang and the mimic is about 4 inches and the clown 2 even with the size difference the clown ended up killing the poor mimic so I sold him and him out of there pretty fast .

But he would only attack when the mimic got to close and even after the mimic backs off the clown will still follow it all over the tank and bit it nonstop for about 3 minutes and then slowly make its way back to the corner with the nem in it and just snuggle in to it but every time the clown would even see the fish it would go after it.

Thanks for you responses guys, if she carries on she's off! Lol she actually grabbed on and ragged at me for a few seconds before letting go today. Think I'm going to have to buy a longer syringe to feed my corals before this turn into a full blown war!! Found myself taking turns with her, jab for jab lol. Brave little thing :)

Back
Top Bottom