Alkalinity Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I just got my alk test kit today, it also includes ph. The alkalinity color card has 3 dif levels: Low Normal High. I checked it and it was on the lower side of normal. On the instructions it said that norma alk was 2.5 meq/l. I added some alk buffer (Seachem reef builder). Should I check alk tomorrow and then add more buffer if alk still isnt on the normal or higher level of normal (Which I heard xenia like 3-5meq/l). On the seachem instructions it said to add twice a week, and check every two week. That doesnt really make sense. Do they mean add twice a week for 2 weeks and then check it?? Also, how will I be able to tell how much buffer I add in my makeup water when the tesk kit doesnt give the exact range. The test is the redsea alk/ph test kit (The droplett test kit). Is it pretty accurate???

I think you should pick up a Calcium test kit and check where you are at on Calcium. Ca and Alk work together and the idea is to have them balanced. While you try to push your Alk up, you could be driving your Ca down to bad levels.

Once you know where BOTH are at, you can adjust one or the other to achieve the balanced level.

Then, use only a balanced additive to move both upward together. There are many balanced additive options like Kalk, or those 2 part additives from Kent etc.

I would also look at getting a better kit that tells you the number and not just a color. Salifert make good kits....
test kits are a necessary part of the hobby...

Back
Top Bottom