all my fishes died!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunbury22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 55 gal reef with 3 damsels, one scopas tang. 1 clownfish, 2 peppermint shrimps, and 1 fireshrimp. Recently all the fishes died except the shrimps. I checked the levels and everything is fine, the salinity is perfect as well for a reef tank. The only thing I did was siphon the reef not too long ago. I don't know what happened any ideas?

Yes I siphoned the sandbed. Yes the phosphates came back really good too

The only thing that I can think of is that I was not using a canopy so I don't know if my water was just contaminated by sand and dirt :(

The only other thing I would check is that you aren't leaking voltage from any electrical devices into the tank.

How can I do that? Sorry I'm still an apprentice lol

Probably caused an ammonia spike by stirring the sandbed to much.

Interesting... When I had a mystery wipe-out recently, I was told that phosphates out of whack would be a potential cause. Thank you for the feedback, always learning!

I did cycle the tank. It probably was the ammonia who know but I don't want to buy any more fishes until I get the canopy just to make sure its not that

Hinds04 said:
Probably caused an ammonia spike by stirring the sandbed to much.

Should I try to avoid siphoning tru the sandbed? How should remove unneaten food?

Yes. Don't siphon your sand-bed. That's a big no!! Doing that will cause all of the nitrates sitting it it to release into your water therefor killing its inhabitants...

the only difference is saltwater fish are a little mor sensitive then freshwater. from what i've read freashwater fish can live with nitrates of 80ppm while saltwater can only cope with abotu 40ppm

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ohh interesting, so i shouldnt siphen?

Siphoning an FW tanks substrate I'd fine, I do mine weekly. Bug it's too be avoided in an SW tank as far as I know. Shouldn't really be needed in an SW tank with the eight CuC etc.

Back
Top Bottom