Anenome still a no no? What are the easiest kept?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I started my 1st 55g reef set up years ago the LFS were selling them but any chat and boards on line said it was a big no no and wrong to buy them. I know a lot has changed over the years and reef keeping and education has come a long way.

Are they sure to be doomed still? If not, what are the easiest and safest to keep? What are the requirements of these easier kept anenomes?

We are looking at a 90 or 120 to set up as a reef and MIGHT consider one for some clowns IF they are keepable.

TIA,
Kimberly

I would suggest BTA's(Entacmaea quadricolor).

BTA's are considered the less difficult of the anemone's. They say BTA's can thrive under PC lighting with supplimental feedings. They can also be placed under MH and do well. Both my BTA's are directly 11" under my MH.

BTA's will wonder around your tank until it finds a spot it likes. Sometimes they wonder into a powerhead and get all chopped up, so remember to anemone proof your tank ahead of time.

I do not keep them myself, and I'm not sure what's easy and what isn't, but there are several who have kept them without incident.

I do know they like a well established aquarium, so don't worry, you have plenty of time to find out if one's right for you.

Any opinions on LTA's? I've heard they require less lighting than BTA's and similar. I'm going back and forth between the 2 for my 1st anemonemonenenme. :D

I don't know, my BTA does pretty good with about (but not quite) 4 watts per gallon of VHO lighting. Thats really not that much lighting at all. The company I bought mine from raised them captively and they said not to blast them with too much light or they will hide. Mine has grown tremendously since I have had it.

Any advice on anemone that won't grow huge? My tank is only about 2 feet in diametre...but I would love to have an anemone and a clown. I've got MH lighting, but there are some areas of the tank that don't get direct MH light.

I think BTA's, even when large, stay fairly compact. I've seen LTA's about 2 feet in diameter when fully stretched out.

Brad said:
Any advice on anemone that won't grow huge? My tank is only about 2 feet in diametre...but I would love to have an anemone and a clown. I've got MH lighting, but there are some areas of the tank that don't get direct MH light.
Heteractis aurora, they stay relatively small as far as hosting species are concerned and are a bottom dweller which would suit the MH lighting. Only draw backs are the more color fluorescent ones can be very hard to find and the clowns that will typically host in them are not usually the most sought after.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom