bio-pellets or carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bio-pellet reactor on my reef tank I'm haven't noticed any real change. I'm fighting to get rid my my cyano I treated the tank with chemi clean about to months ago since then its been growing on my sand bed. Ive read alot that people are getting cyano from the bio-pellets. I'm planning on getting rid of the pellets. What is a good media to use? Is carbon need or benaficial? I just added a gfo reactor the other day so I hoping that will help with the cyano. What should I put in the other reactor?

paulweck said:
I have a bio-pellet reactor on my reef tank I'm haven't noticed any real change. I'm fighting to get rid my my cyano I treated the tank with chemi clean about to months ago since then its been growing on my sand bed. Ive read alot that people are getting cyano from the bio-pellets. I'm planning on getting rid of the pellets. What is a good media to use? Is carbon need or benaficial? I just added a gfo reactor the other day so I hoping that will help with the cyano. What should I put in the other reactor?

What brand pellets I use them and have no algae no nitrates or phosphates

The key with pellets, regardless of brand is to start small & build slow. It's food for bacteria so overdosing will fuel bad bacteria (cyano). Dosing something like Zeobak daily after each addition helps introduce the right bacteria to out weigh the bad. Whenever I add more pellets, I dose Zeobak daily for 2 weeks.

I started with about 1/6 of the tank dose of pellets & increased by 1/6 every 2 weeks. Now quarterly I add 1/6 to replace consumed.

Back
Top Bottom