Blue mushroom coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverain420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I am picking up my first coral today from someone locally in my area. It is blue mushroom coral. Does anybody have any links to care info on them? All I seem to be able to find are small bits and pieces such as on Dr's Foster and Smith. So I have come to the conclusion that they do not not need super intense light, and prefer to be farther from the light, and they like moderate to low current. Is that correct? Does anybody have any other suggestions or info? Can anyone reccomend a good food? I found they need some sort of iodine supplement, any reccomendations? Any info you could give would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

See! That's the kind of article I was looking for! Thanks so much. If anyone has any other advice/info/experiences.. please share! Thanks again.

Isolate them as much as possible. Put the rock they come on on the sand bed, so any jumpers can be easily dealt with. Mushrooms are very nice hardy prolific corals and if given the cance will take over your LR and sting your other corals. I am not trying to scare, just inform you so you can take appropriate measures before hand.

They will be the only corals in the tank. It is a 12 gallon eclipse. I am picking up that CPR LT3 this weekend, so had thought I would move them in there when it is ready... but maybe not. I had placed another post asking for advice as to what to put in that 25 gallon, but only got one response. Are blue mushrooms best kept by themselves? If so, I can leave them in the 12 gallon and when they reproduce like crazy, donate them back to reefers in my area. Or should I try to integrate them into a reef tank? Bare with me, as I am very new to reef tanks. They won't have any problems with my livestock will they? (green chromis, purple firefish, and pearly jawfish.) All of my params have been pretty stable: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates stay under 10, ph is 8.2. SG is 1.023. I have 12 lbs of LR and they are coming on a piece of rock the size of a fist, I don't yet know how dense it is.

And are there any recommended Iodine supplements? Do I need suplements?

TIA

silverain420 said:
Are blue mushrooms best kept by themselves? If so, I can leave them in the 12 gallon and when they reproduce like crazy, donate them back to reefers in my area. Or should I try to integrate them into a reef tank?
The shrooms caan be incorporated into the 12 or an addition reef set up. The key thing to remember when placing corals is "growing" room. As long as they do not inhibit other corals, they will be fine. Selling them back to the LFS is always a bonus.

Bare with me, as I am very new to reef tanks. They won't have any problems with my livestock will they? (green chromis, purple firefish, and pearly jawfish.)
None...

All of my params have been pretty stable: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates stay under 10, ph is 8.2. SG is 1.023. I have 12 lbs of LR and they are coming on a piece of rock the size of a fist, I don't yet know how dense it is.
All good but depending on the temp, I would bump the SG a notch...

And are there any recommended Iodine supplements? Do I need suplements?
I would not recommend using them at all. For that size tank, water changes and the foods you feed the tank will ensure iodine is being kept up.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom