brown diatom algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
brown diatom algae?

i have just set up the tank and its been up working properly for about a week, although had about 30kg of live rock in a tub with the rught water for about 2 weeks before that, then when the tank had been running for about 4 days i added another 40kg of live rock, so have 70kg in my 100gal. but i jave only just got the skimmer going as i put the feed and returns the wrong way around in the sump? stupid me? burt i have seen that some of the corallinbe algae on the live rock has turned white in patches, and ive been told that it will do this as some of its is just dying off and the conditions whight not favour it? and also as i got the live rock from somebody that was selling up, so got it very cheap, and its the best stuff ive seen, admitadly that might not be much but hey i think its good, there was also some corals that i got like some polyps and mushrooms and some leathers.

well anyway yesturday i noticed that there was some algae on the substrate it looks like brown turf, is this the brown diatom algae you get when the tanks cycling? it has bubbles of gas occasionally going up to the surafce. if so how long will it be around and how much of the tank will it cover, will it cover the corals, and will they be alright if it does?

at the moment i have got 15 snails in there the normal small ones, and i already know the cleaned crew that i will get in the end:

30 normal turbos, (already got 15)
6 super,
12 nassarius,
12 cerith,

6 red legs,

2 cleaner shrimps

should i get and add the rerst of them now as there will now be algae for them to feed on or wait a bit longer?

thanx again in advance for the help,
andrew

It sounds like diatoms ;) The thing about adding your clean up crew is to make sure there is something for them to eat. Diatoms will flourish until the silicate from the water has been used up, then you will see them fall to a manageble level. If there is no ammonia or nitrite in the water I would go ahead and add 1/2 of the clean up crew, and the rest in a few weeks. Be prepared to feed them.

Oh yeah...also make sure you do a slow drip acclimation, since mobile inverts are sensitive to changes in salinity, temp and ph. Slow=2-4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom