Carbon Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodgersfan25

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just got some carbon and i was wondering where to put it. i have a CPR bak pak w/ a preskimmer. TIA

It needs to be put in a high flow area. I don't think you will be able to put it in the skimmer as there is no room and would affect the performance of the unit. Do you have an overflow? You can put it in that if so.

will putting it in the pre-skimmer even do anything?

It won't hurt anything. So long as it fits in there, it will be fine. I didn't realize there was that much room on those things...

I bought an aquaclear mini to run GAC. I've got a very similiar setup to yours with the Bakpak and the preskimmer. The GAC will overflow the skimmer if you put it in the 2nd chamber and I don't think you will get enough flow putting it in the bottom of the preskimmer. My Bakpak is only pulling out about a 1/10 a cup of gunk daily which is probably because of the carbon.

Any HOB will do. I like the aquaclear because you can fill the basket with anything you want. I already had a mini laying around and since I have the CPR refugium and skimmer already on the back space was at a premium. If you have room you may want to get a larger one.

Back
Top Bottom