Caught some sandsifters yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raysxb

Aquarium Advice Regular
We recently had a powerful storm and some pretty rough seas. So I decided to head to the beach and look for some critters at low tide. I live about a mile inland from the atlantic ocean. I ended up collecting over 100 sandsifting star fish in all different sizes. I had over half of a 5 gallon salt bucket full! I gave about 75 to the local pet store. I Still have about 25 or so left. I will try to post some pix tomorrow.

pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpg

I am uploading photos as we speak. it'll be a few mins. Also in a different thread I will post pix of my tanks.

If you wanna pay for shipping I will give you one...

I upload mine to flickr.com then copy and paste the BB Code into the message and the pics post immediately

Please don't go collecting from beaches or any wild habitat for that matter. Local laws may prohibit it. There is also the risk of them carrying unwanted hitchhikers into your tank. Another risk is that they are not used to parameter fluctuations, and may be very sensitive.

we actually had thousands of these was up on our beach after the storm. It made national news. All that were kept were acclimated over several hours and i got permission from local authorities first before i took them home.

But yes, i understand what you are saying. Collecting the animals without the proper licensing and or permits can really land you in a heap of trouble with the law.

all of those stars will starve to death. they need quite a bit of microfauna that is found in the sand. there's simply not enough in most aquariums.

They are actually going back into the ocean. The area where they got washed ashore is where the ocean feeds into the march....fresh water which is why they were beaching themselves in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom