Chaetmorpha or Caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any pros or cons for using either of these in a refugium. Want a place to grow pods in my 40 gallon refugium so I can try another mandarin and keep up the pod population. I have about 25-30lbs live rock rubble going into my refugium this weekend(it is from a friends established tank) and I was wondering if I should try some chaetmorpha or caulerpa. I can buy grape caulerpa at my lfs but the Chaetmorpha would have to be purchased online.

I am thinking about a single 36" power compact over the refugium. I would either have it on while the main lights are off or leave it on 24/7. Any tips?

Chaeto is definitely the way to go. No chance of releasing toxins into your tank like Caulerpa. Chaeto does best if lit opposite your main tank. I got mine online from Ebay.

Thanks. I have heard that it will create ph swings when on the reverse photo period of the main. Is this true? Also I was leary about the caulerpa since it says it will release its sexuality/ toxins unless lights are on 24/7

Actually its the opposite. If you light your fuge opposite the main tank it will help keep ph more stable.

Back
Top Bottom