Changing susbstrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. Figured I'd make a new thread on this matter..

Short summary. I have 100lbs of pool filter sand in my 90g tank and while it was cheap, easy to clean and looked nice, several months down the road, its starting to clump up and create kind of a sheet on top. Well its trapping bubbles underneath of it and I figured that cannot be a good thing. Any advice on switching to live sand?

Do you have anything that sifts the sand? Starfish, snails, goby, etc...?

I have some snails but not enough. I have a jaw fish that digs holes but that's about it. Nothing that constantly sifts it

Regular sand turns live once the BB are there. If you already have that, I don't see a point in switching (unless it is for something you like more). Just remember that when you remove it, you are taking out a huge chunk of your bio filtration. Maybe get a few nassarius snails to keep your sand sifted a bit?

I understand that, its just the fact that things are literally getting trapped under the surface of the sand. And it gets clumpy too. Starting to worry and hate it all at the same time.

Regular sand turns live once the BB are there. If you already have that, I don't see a point in switching (unless it is for something you like more). Just remember that when you remove it, you are taking out a huge chunk of your bio filtration. Maybe get a few nassarius snails to keep your sand sifted a bit?

+1 more snails and maybe a sand sifting star.

I wouldn't be worried about it...what you describe usually makes me say cyano but I know you well enough to be able to ID that...The clumping is odd, but the bubbles are normal. No sand sifters they'll gather there, which is why you never want to disturb a DSB.

I wouldn't be worried about it...what you describe usually makes me say cyano but I know you well enough to be able to ID that...The clumping is odd, but the bubbles are normal. No sand sifters they'll gather there, which is why you never want to disturb a DSB.

Lol I'm still contemplating it tho. Haven't been liking the look of it anyhow lately :(

Well I have successfully changed out my sand bed :) took about 10hrs over 2 days but it got done Lol.

Looks.... SOOOOO much better now, wish I could upload a picture!

And the best part, so far, no mini cycle. Been testing everyday and everythings still steady :)

Back
Top Bottom