Closing up holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it was pointed out to me that a small snowflake eel I am QTing can fit through an incredibly narrow space. The dilemma I'm facing is that I believe I have a hole which it can fit through.

Pb9v2cw.jpg

How would you guys close it up?

I was thinking plastic canvas.. but wouldn't that just look horrible? Would coralline even encrust on it?

It would look ugly for a bit. Coralline encrusts everything...it takes no prisoners. But hey ugly vs losing your eel in the overflow box???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mesh Mesh Mesh. If you buy clear mesh you wont notice it as much and its super cheap and durable. It will certainly get the job done!

How about a piece of black plastic? You aren't going to miss that little hole. Glue it in as if you were gluing a frag to a rock. No sweat.

When I had an eel for a short period of time, I cut up the cone that I had from when my dog got fixed and duct taped it over all the holes.

Are you talking about the duct tape being submerged in the water? Or just covering holes in the lids?

How about a piece of black plastic? You aren't going to miss that little hole. Glue it in as if you were gluing a frag to a rock. No sweat.

That's a good point. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get that GSP to attach to the overflow. I was expecting the holes to be plugged anyways. I think I might give that a shot.

Holes in lids. Though, the same could be applied with superglue rather than duct tape in such a manner for an underwater issue. Some beat up and easily replaced Tupperware containers could easily be cut up if needed, as you know they are also food safe.

There are many ways to tighten up the top, but as mentioned, it needs doing. Snowflakes, as well as long nosed hawk fish, are almost impossible to keep long term without a escape proof top, as they are super accurate jumpers.

There are many ways to tighten up the top, but as mentioned, it needs doing. Snowflakes, as well as long nosed hawk fish, are almost impossible to keep long term without a escape proof top, as they are super accurate jumpers.

Do you think they are accurate enough to jump through a hole the diameter of an index finger that's an inch above the water line?

Of course it depends on the size of the fish, but I have seen them jump thru holes barely wider than them. They are near sighted but have great vision of things above the surface. I had a full grown snowflake years ago that was strong enough to flip the top off a 120 gallon even though I had a cement block on it.

Of course it depends on the size of the fish, but I have seen them jump thru holes barely wider than them. They are near sighted but have great vision of things above the surface. I had a full grown snowflake years ago that was strong enough to flip the top off a 120 gallon even though I had a cement block on it.

That's impressive. Guess I have some work eel proofing my lid theb.

They are crazy strong, even when little. But as adults, all morays are pretty much all muscle.

unless you top is tight down onto of your corner overflows, he will end up in the over flows and down into your plumbing and pump. They are great but nearly impossible to keep in.

unless you top is tight down onto of your corner overflows, he will end up in the over flows and down into your plumbing and pump. They are great but nearly impossible to keep in.
I originally had issues with fish getting into my overflows. I use plastic canvas to prevent anything from getting in there now.

Back
Top Bottom