Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatorsuf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How come in the wild corals will come out of the water for hours at low tide and get rained on, yet I have to acclimate them for hours? That is why I only temperature acclimate them (Acropora, finger leather, platygyra, yellow leather, pagoda) and then drop them in... THEY ARE ALL ALIVE AND WELL!! I've also relized that having a saltwater aquarium is a bad habit and addiction. I know a lady who can't stop and has spent $40,000 in one year, and cocked of to me when I said "I have a snowflake moray" apparently thats for poor and low class marine aquarists. What I like most about my aquarium is laying for an hour and watching everything swim and interact. Advice, if you cannot enjoy this hobby without having constantly more and better things, you need to calm down. Please learn to enjoy it and actually take a look at what is in your glass box.

How come in the wild corals will come out of the water for hours at low tide and get rained on, yet I have to acclimate them for hours?

Those wild corals are going back into the water they were out of for a short period of time. The corals you're placing in your tank has come from different water. Long acclimations like that reduce the possibility of shock just in case there's a significant difference between the tank it came out of and the tank it's going into. It's just a preventative measure. I too have taken coral and just moved them from one tank to another without any acclimation without any negative effects. However, I also know the water chemistry between these different tanks are the same. You've been lucky to have had good sources for coral.

BTW...nothing wrong with having a snowflake eel. Wanna know what's really cool with them if done properly...heehee and if kept in a reef setting...

I have a customer who has skunk cleaner shrimp in her tank prior to getting a snowflake eel. The eel opens his mouth for the shrimp to clean :) Just like out in the wild. Pretty neat, but I do believe the shrimp must be a resident of the tank and well established first or the eel may see the shrimp more as food than a helping 'claw'.

Back
Top Bottom