coral grow out tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i wanted to turn a 20 gallon into a coral grow out tank with the egg crate on the bottom and thats it with a hob filter made for a 55 could i keep a single damsel in there with the coral or would that pose a problem

What corals are you trying to grow?

I don't think a plain tank with a HOB is ideal. The best thing would be to run it with your display, all one system.

well nothing yet because i just ordered new lighting but pretty much anything i frag or swap

What light did you get?

A damsel is not a bad idea. That is a small tank though (for coral grow out or a damsel) so pick a small one.

Are you trying to grow them out to sell them?

no because i have a few friends and my girl friend who has reef tanks so if i we swap frags to let it grow and get alittle bigger before going into the display and i eventually do wanna sell them. and i got a 250 watt metal halide

That may be a bit much for a 20 gallon. Most likely you will burn, bleach, and at least wash out anything you put in there. I personally wouldn't go with that much overkill, especially since it doesn't sound like it will be exclusively high light Acros.

IMO it would be better to just put anything you want in the display directly into the display. The only exceptions I can think of are small corals being susceptible to fish that like them too much, like clown gobies sitting a small acro frag or a clownfish hosting in a small LPS colony. In those situations it would be good to grow them out a bit before adding them to the display.

Back
Top Bottom