Coral spectrum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think pay off my diatom and now algae problem is my light

I'm actually thinking it's too powerful and the built in timer leaves the white light on way to Long.
I would honestly prefer to not even use the white and just keep the blue and atinic colors on I'm not sure if Coral utilize the white spectrum.

This is my light

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-VL-MA24-Marine-Automated-Aquarium/dp/B01M1896US

Could anyone give me some tips? Thanks

The better the light the better algae will grow. Focus less on the light and more on nutrient export. What goes in must come out.

I run a skimmer, now a phos reactor and do a pretty full RODI water change every week.
Im not very stocked either. Im thinking most of the nutrients are still from the cycle process but cant be sure.
Im focusing on the light for my corals but I want to find that medium where my corals will do good but choke out algae, like in my planted tanks.
The light has its own internal timer with a 24/7 feature but Im thinking im going to try a black out for a bit and just run the night function on a timer. Im curious as to how much light corals need as opposed to just minerals and feeding, and what kind of light. My corals have been growing fine but again I think theres to much light which is why my algae is kind of out of control.

You won't find a place where the algae gets choked out. It'll grow under a cheap 60 watt twist bulb.
A black out might be of assistance, but if you are running reactors why not simply get the algae to grow somewhere else and be of benefit to you? I love the algae turf scrubber that I built on my tank. Works like a charm.
As for the spectrum for corals, I think this is what I usually provide people.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/media/PDF/ColorGuideSW.pdf

You won't find a place where the algae gets choked out. It'll grow under a cheap 60 watt twist bulb.
A black out might be of assistance, but if you are running reactors why not simply get the algae to grow somewhere else and be of benefit to you? I love the algae turf scrubber that I built on my tank. Works like a charm.
As for the spectrum for corals, I think this is what I usually provide people.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/media/PDF/ColorGuideSW.pdf

this isnt cheato algae that I Can actually use, its literally just green algae on the glass and some of the rocks.
Im going to try and reduce my photo period and see if I can beat it down a bit with help of the phos and some hardy scrubbing. I actualy found a decent write up as well on what light certain corals like. Would help if I remembered what corals I actually have

Even hair algae is a macro algae. The concept of using it to our advantage isn't new, but the concept of algae turf scrubbers has come around again.
This will be an up and coming thing in the hobby IMO. It pulls out the nutrients, but also provides great CO2 exchange.
Here is a link to a member of this and many forums who has done a ton of work with these.
BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - LED based Waterfall Algal Turf Scubber

Back
Top Bottom