Cowfish Anybody?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wife loves those little yellow cowfish that our lfs has. Does anyone have experience with these, or know anything about these? Are they reef compatabile? Should I stay away from this fish?

TIA!! :wink:

Boxfish/cowfish are cute and funny when young, but then they get big and ugly. They can also excrete a toxic substance if they get scared enough. This can kill things including themselves. Also they can be a challenge to feed.

I bought one on impulse after having a margarita at my local mexican restaurant. Then I learned about all this stuff and ended up trading him for a sailfin blenny and some snails.

If you can get through all of the challenges they are pretty funny to watch. They like to go up and down like a small blimp. Other than that I do not think I would ever get another one. 8)

Ive had one for about 2 years, he is everyones favorite fish. Tons of personality.

Mine sucks on the tubes of feather dusters, but otherwise havent seen him hurt anything.

During a feeding frenzy he has been almost swallowed by a large porcupine puffer twice and never released any toxins. He also had both of his rear horns bitten off by a trigger (which grew back) and had one of his front horns spilt by the same trigger. Its now growing in 3 directions

I get to post his pic again :D
cow.jpg

Nitrate, thats one ugly fish. I like Snapcracklers better. I hope yours starts to look that good when it gets older.

LOL!!

that looks like the one I had except the horns on mine were just "singles"

cool that it did not release toxins and stuff though! Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom