Crinoid Feather Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
These are soooo cool. Too bad they are impossible to keep. I don't understand why they are sold, or why people buy them- o because they don't research what they are buying... :?

FeatherStarfish.jpg

Good point Lance. I remember watching a presentation by Rob Toonen last year at MACNA on sea stars and the feather stars. He showed some absolutely beautiful pictures of them, but the fact that they don't seem to recognize "fake" food we try to feed them can be tough.

Don't buy these!

They are beautiful.

Unfortunately, there are a number of species of fish and inverts that probably do not belong in the aquarium trade.

It always kills me when I see a juvenial panther grouper, sweetlips or any shark at a small local LFS. All need to have a disclaimer on requirements before purchase. Lets face it the average hobbysit shopping at the chain LFS dose not have a 150-300g setup at home. They are buying these cute 3-5" juvenials for their 75g or smaller home system. :(

I just saw a very cool shark egg at an LFS that looked like it was ready to hatch at a reasonable price. My guess is it will end up in some newbies 55g tank.

Not sure how to break the cycle. As long as the uneducated keep buying them they will continue to collect and sell.

afilter said:
Not sure how to break the cycle. As long as the uneducated keep buying them they will continue to collect and sell.

So true! The best thing we can do, I guess, would be to try an educate people. But there are those people who don't want help or they think that they are soo good at fish keeping that they don't need to listen to other people and they can get whatever they want and it will do great for them...

The reason I posted this is because I saw two BEAUTIFUL feather stars at my lfs yesterday. They where moving around trying to find a good flow, one was even on top of a clam, it was so cool. They where black and red. The lfs ordered them because people requested them, but the people at the fish store also told the people that wanted them that the stars would die from starvation, even the huge state aquariums cannot replicate the environment where these stars will feed and be able to live for an extended period of time. But the people still wanted them. :wink: Well they know what's going to happen but I guess they think they are better than scientists and others.

But there are those people who don't want help or they think that they are soo good at fish keeping that they don't need to listen to other people and they can get whatever they want and it will do great for them...

[/quote]

They are the ones that have post titled like " why are my 4 tangs not doing too well in my 10 gallon tank". You`ve seen the type.

Back
Top Bottom