Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meanwhile ,back at the ranch ,I ordered a bubble magnus roller filter for my tank,… when I saw these a few years ago when they came out I was really interested because I’m pretty **** lazy when it comes to changing out the filter socks .
This is going to require some tricky plumbing because of the way I have the return water coming into my sump but that’ll make things interesting,…I’m certain they’ll be a couple of trips to dixieline’s plumbing department coming soon .
I also bought and installed the upgrade to my aquatic life rodi filter which will convert the unit to a higher water output ,..so far so good !

I bought 4-5 of those fleece rolls and actually throw them in the washing machine. Takes a few minutes to untangle the roll and re-roll it, but I get 3-4 uses out of each roll.

I bought 4-5 of those fleece rolls and actually throw them in the washing machine. Takes a few minutes to untangle the roll and re-roll it, but I get 3-4 uses out of each roll.

Hey Greg !! I was wondering if anyone had tried that ,… how’s the big tank changeover coming ?

I’m turning 70 too,…
and I can totally understand,,…. On the other hand ,you can correct anything that you wish you would’ve done on the other tank ,..kinda thrilling and kinda like getting a tooth pulled at the same time ., can’t wait to hear how she’s progressing.
We have faith in you Greg !

Well after running my new bubble magus matt roller for a solid week now I’m rather impressed , she picks up a lot of gunk and seems to be running flawlessly .
By the looks of things I’d estimate that a roll of matting should last about a month and a half give or take .
Pinkie won $100 in the office Super Bowl pool yesterday and decided to donate that to me to buy some adult beverages ,…now that’s a good dog !!!!

Last edited:
Let’s see what’s happening over at Dary’s tank this week ,…. For years I’ve been dosing Kent marine pro buffer dkh for my alk upkeep ,..suddenly there’s none on the market ! I finally found a store that had 3 or 4 of the 64 oz jugs in stock ,..well after I ordered them I received a email saying they were no longer available ,….oh ( you know what ),…after a little panic attack I decided to try out brightwells version of apparently the same thing ,….it took a couple of days to focus in on the dosing times to get things back up to where I had been,….but I’m back up and running again ,…I just ordered a rather large amount of the brightwells that should cover me for awhile .
Meanwhile , I decided to replace my old “ pinpoint ph “ monitor which was giving some crazy reading with a newer version,…after calibrations I think we’re back on schedule again.
Of course pinkie has been a tremendous help with his supervision of the whole project .
So that’s pretty much where we sit for now ,..stay tuned for our next disaster lol

It's miserable when you can't find the thing you are comfortable using, or know wil work!

And updating things is the way it goes. Glad you are dialing it in! Sounds like you have some very nice new fish keeping helpers. And Pinkie!

IMG_2203.jpg
By the looks of it , I’ve got another 2 months before I’ll have to change out the bubble magus filter roll !!!
I started out on this roll February 3 rd .

Autumn…. I like it … as you can see in the picture It seems to pick up a lot of crud from the water that the skimmer did not get .
Kinda like “set it and forget it “…. Just one less thing to worry about come maintenance time .
I read a couple of reviews that people were saying that the filter roll clogged up too quickly and needed to be replaced every 2-3 weeks .., I guess it’ll depend on just how funky your water is seeing on how the roll will rotate only when it’s getting clogged up which triggers a float that advances the roll .
Not that my water is pristine by any stretch of the imagination but it beats cleaning up the socks all the time .
Overall it’s pretty cool .

Well I kinda had a scare over the weekend ,…while getting ready for bed Friday evening I heard a crash outside followed by a total black out ,…I went outside and checked around and it only appeared to be my place that was effected.
Well shoot ! What the heck is going on here ??? Then I heard some yelling and screaming followed by every cuss word you’d ever wanna hear ,.. at the bottom of the driveway was a white sedan ,…the wife or girl friend was standing on the hood of the car being berated by the boyfriend or husband,.. he was screaming stuff like see what you did pointing to the front of the car ,..It’s all your fault etc etc ,…. Then he said get in the *&$# car and let’s get the heck out of here ,..he also yelled “ and get rid of that &$*@ thing “
Well…. My eccotech battery back up did not kick in and so by flashlight I sloshed water around in the tank to keep water moving ,at 1:00 am it’s time for me to go to work so I opened the door wondering what I’d find when I returned home in another 10 hours or so .
When I opened the door I was greeted by flashing yellows lights from a emergency road crew equipped with a large crane ,…I walked down to the workers and said so this is why I lost power last night ., he said a car musta hit the transformer (?) and drove off ,…I related the story about the car and the yelling ,….the worker showed me a area of car oil on the ground from the hit and run…suddenly all the puzzle pieces came together .
He assured me that they’d have the new box up and running in about an hour or so,…. Btw ,…what she threw out of the car was a empty beer can .
Well,…when I got home the power was on and the fish were swimming around !!!
Maybe all my work stirring up the water worked .
My eccotech 40 battery backup failed to kick in but I was getting the flashing green red lights on the main panel indicating that the wet side impeller was stuck,..I took that off and soaked it in vinegar as I’ve done in the past but discovered that the whole wet side impeller was misaligned and had a really sloppy bearing in it ,…I guess after being running constantly for 13 or 14 years has taken its toll ,…. I’m hoping that by replacing the wet side unit with the new upgraded replacement will do the trick and kick on the battery back up when needed .
Stand by the replacement is on the way

It’s awesome they were there when you needed them. I’ve often considered a whole house generator for those type of incidents. I have a portable generator that will run my furnace and my tanks’ flow and heat (know from experience) but if it’s the middle of summer, I would never be able to cool the house with it.

I was dreading the worse but when I saw those flashing yellow light I knew I had a chance ,…. I had a gas generator years ago which I had to use a few times but along the line something went astray and I got rid of it ,…. I’ve seen a few giant portable battery systems that quite possibly would run everything for awhile but they are expensive.
Once they ran the underground’s cables out here I haven’t had any blackouts until now ,…I’m sure that’s been 5 or 6 years now , so I’m going to see if I can get the eccotech system going again before I’ll lay out the big bucks.

Back
Top Bottom