dealing with frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want to start fragging some of my corals and I wondered how everyone does it? I have read enough on how to cut them but what do you do after you cut them. I have lost a few previous frags in the tank and I wondered if I could use a 10 gal tank I have as a temp tank? Is there a cheap light I could get to keep them healthy until I can place them in the tank?

I also thought about modifying a speciman container with drilled holes and suction cups to put in the main tank as a temp home.

Ideally I would like something separate but lighting might be an issue. I figure if you cut a mushroom like a pizza, that is some small pieces :)

Thanks

you could attach them to a small piece of rock/plug with superglue gel and get a small CF light for your 10g and use that as a holding tank. -or -
CPR does sell an in-tank refugium that probably would be perfect though it is much smaller than a 10g.

The large speciman container would be a lot smaller too. I might have to see how big the in tank fuges are. If I remember correctly , there are a few sizes.

The 10g I already have though. Is there any kind of light at HD or similar that would give the intensity needed for a small tank?

I was in TPP over the weekend, and they had a 20 W 50/50 bulb that screws into a normal light socket. But I can't find it online
It is made by coralife. It is item no 54210

Something like that would be good. Aren't most commercial bulbs the wrong intensity?

I saw a couple of the 20" lights on ebay too. Need to find a cheap one. Too many tanks in the house as it is :)

Aren't most commercial bulbs the wrong intensity?
no and yes. With lighting the concern is the spectrum. Intensity is required for penetrating deeper into the water, which isn't required on a small system.

Back
Top Bottom