Diadema Basslet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today, my husband and I found a neat petstore that carried a very nice selection of saltwater. We bought 3 corals and a yellow headed jawfish.

While I was acclimatizing the corals, I looked into the bowl with the cabbage leather and saw a cute, vividly marked fish! It saw me and darted back into the rock the leather was attached to...talk about a hitchhiker!

Anyway, we have identified it as a Diadema Basslet (Pseudochromis diadema). Can anyone tell me firsthand, a little about these fish. I have read they can get up to 11 inches..seems a little big to me for this little fella.

According to Dr. Burgess's Mini-Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes they are a peaceful community fish but can reach a "maximum" of 27.4 cm which is about 11". Book says this is max and normally fish, especially aquarium kept fish, will be much smaller. Orange bodied fish with a pink/purple stipe down dorsal area?

Congrats on the hitchhiker. Tell me how the jawfish does, I have had them in the past and they always die on me. About time they get thier burrow looking good, they would die. Also, make sure your tank is sealed up good as they are notorous jumpers. If one does good try getting another. More than one can be very entertaining. They will decorate the outside of thier burrow with shells and stuff. But they are thieves and will always steal the other ones decorations. It is very humorous to watch. I am very interested in how you do with them. :)

Back
Top Bottom