Gouramis - not eating, labored breathing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramimommy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! New to this forum and still pretty new to aquarium life.

Here’s my issue: juvenile Sunset Thicklip wouldn’t eat this morning and has labored breathing. 3 Pearl Leeri’s ate fine this morning, but are now experiencing labored breathing. One Pearl in particular seems worse, isolating and black stripe is faded. The other 2 pearl’s are still moving about some (also darting which is unusual for them so far and how I was alerted to their breathing), and coming up for air, and also responded to a feed test (I’m sure I made that term up). What I mean is I opened the lid to see if they would respond, and they did. The other Pearl and the thicklip, however, did not, and they will only come up to the surface to get air and then go right back into isolation.

Other info to consider: Saturday I purchased a swordtail from my LFS. All seemed fine, and then yesterday morning at feeding time I didn’t see it anywhere. I finally noticed it under an ornament. I was initially concerned but walked away for a minute, came back and it wasn’t there anymore. Distracted by children, I didn’t think about for a bit. Evening time, I looked for it and it was in the back of a skull ornament. Also in there was my juvenile sunset thicklip. I went about removing the swordtail, and noticed a big hole in it’s belly, completely empty inside. So, my obvious worry is that my little sunset gutted the fish and may possibly be sick from it.
I currently have a salt level of 2ppt and an elevated temp (82-84) for two weeks now, as an ick treatment. I’m about to do a previously planned 50% water change.
I have the API Master Test Kit and tested about 45 minutes ago, and everything was good. No ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were low - between 10/20.
I have a 10g QT tank that my 2 nerite snails and 2 emerald corydoras are currently in. They were removed from the main tank due to the ick and sensitivity to a salt treatment. So they were treated with half the recommended dose of API Super Ick - another half dose 48hrs later, and a 50% WC 48hrs after that.
There are currently no signs of ick in either tank, but we were planning on observing for one more week before reducing the salt more and returning the snails and corys back to the main tank (60g).

I thought about moving the gouramis to the QT tank while I do my WC, but I’m concerned I will stress them even more trying to catch them. They dart even if I get close to the tank (which is unusual for them). So I’m hoping that this water change will help them, although, the water doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Melafix?? I’ve frequently read about and have been told by staff at an Aquarium/fish specific store (not a pet store), that Melafix and other similar fish medications (containing tea tree oil?) should not be used on Labyrinth fish (Gouramis). However, I just called said aquarium store, and the person who answered claimed he’s never heard such things. So you can imagine my frustration, considering 2 other members of their staff told me that.

If not those medications, what can be used in their place for what may be a parasitic issue I’m dealing with??? And any other theory’s, advise, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I apologize for the very verbose post, but I wanted to be as clear as possible, and give as much info I could that may help you help me:)

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom