DIY sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
All
Has anyone built their own sump (from a tank and putting baffles in and such) and if so, what advice can you give me as far as problems to look for? I have a 40 long that sumphead has graciously helped me design and Im going to try and set it up this weekend. I have the fuge in the middle and 3 baffles in each end. I have a few baffles left over and contemplating what to do with them...use them, not use them?
Just any general advice....
Thanks

Make sure your baffles are strong enough. I first started using thin plexi-glass... if there's a variance in water level in the sump, the weight will be on the baffles. For instance, I have my return chamber in the center. The drain is on the left and a fuge on the right. As evaporation occurs in the return chamber, the water level will slowly drop causing more weight on baffles that partition the return chamber. It started to bow a little bit. I took them out and used glass baffles instead. The glass was also thin, less than 1/4", but it doesn't flex like plexi/acrylic.

I used 1/4" plexiglass and there is NO way this stuff will bend. Its real thick and I have tried to bow it and it will not bow at all. It breaks before it bows AND it takes a LOT to break it...Im just making sure there is nothing I need to worry about...guess not!! We will see... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom