Electrical current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently and even in the past I have stuck my hand in my tank to find a nice little shock waiting for me. I do have a grounding probe that has been on the tank for some time. its not all the time I get shocked but it appears to be getting worse. Any suggestions? I think it might be one of my pumps or a HOB filter. Anyone exeperience this?
Thanks

Dont keep sticking your hand in with out a grounding probe ! Second keep it pluged in as the fish can feel this.... one by one remove and place the item into a bucket with water , PH, Heaters, Filter use a volt meter to test till you find one with the current ....if that is not possible take the grounding probe out use a volt meter in the tank unplug till you find the one that is giving off the current .... This is an extremly dangerous situation for you and your family if not taken care of .... this can mess with your heart and quite honestly kill you ...

I agree that your equipement needs to be checked. Something is not right. A GFI would be a good idea here after you find out what the problem is and correct it.

Well it has been this way for a long time. However I took the time to research it today. I figured out that it was a small fan I have laying on top of my sump blowing into it. I think the fan has a lot of salt buildup on it and is conducting an electrical current along the sump top. So I will buy a new fan tomorrow for sure. I must say it doesnt feel good sticking my hand in there most of the time!! :)

Back
Top Bottom