Filtering Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebius

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of, I want to thank everyone for the great advice I have read on AA. I am going to be setting up a 90G drilled tank sometime this summer. I am new to saltwater and am trying to get stuff that really won't need upgraded without spending a small mint. I have decided to go with MH lighting with white and moon lights for looks. I think I have just about everything figured out except the filtration system.

I know that I don't want anything hanging on the back, hence the drilled tank. I'm pretty sure I don't want a canister either, but if you have a reason I should go that way please let me know. My biggest problem is the whole wet/dry sump and/or Refugium deal.

What are the differences between these two? I know that a fuge has mud/sand and some chaeto, but besides that I'm at a loss. Also, can a wet/dry sump have a fuge? Would this be ideal?

I do know that whatever I go with I need to get a skimmer that goes in whichever one. Please let me know what you think and TIA for the info! :D

:smilecolros: :smilecolros: Wlcome to AquariumAdvice.com!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Sounds like you are on the right track. A Wet/dry sump is merely a wet/dry filter. It combines mechanical, biological and chemical filtration in an aerobic (with oxygen) and anaerobic (without oxygen) envirornment. Typically, they consist of a fitler pad and drip tray along with a bioball compartment. Some have skimmers, some do not. A fuge takes things a step further and gives you great biological filtration. Think of it as a smaller tank filtering your bigger tank, complete with lights and macro algeas. That is about as simple as I can put it. there is a bit more involved however. Check out the "Articles" section at the top of the page for more detailed info.

Thanks for the welcome! So I am assuming that the fuge setup would be the better one to have.

Depends on what you plan on putting in it. If FOWLR I would just go wet/dry no fuge. If you plan on having coral get a fuge.

Ok, thanks for the input. Yeah, im planning on going reef so it looks like fuge it is!

Back
Top Bottom