Finally done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
We stayed up until 2 am, but the big tank swap is done. All the fish and corals seem to be doing well. I can honestly say I have never seen fish "act" happier. They have been playing all day long. The corals are taking to the new light nicely too. The shrooms will have to be in part shade though as they did start to wilt. The octobubble is so big now.

All my fish seem very very small now, even the 10 inch lion..he looks like a dwarf. :)

here are a few. I have to figure out how to do this, the lights are so high that I get a glare every time.

It looks Fantastic!!! As for the pics...you need to limit the amount of light that gets between the lens and the tank. For pics of individual animals, I tend to actually place the lens ring (lens is slightly recessed) against the glass, and use it to steady the cam, works pretty good even with long exposures. For a full tank pic...I would try to use something (cardboard maybe) to go from the rim of the tank over the side of the light fixture. On my 20, I have a pendant MH that sits about 6" from the top of the tank, I built an open top canopy that comes just above the bottom edge of the MH fixture and it works great. It also keeps more light in the tank rather than spilling out. I know it would be a pain with a bowfront, but I seem to remember jblitz99 built one for a bowfront, if I'm right, maybe he'll post a how to...

Heeey! You did a fantastic job rock scaping. I bet your fish are loving it!

Your tank is gonna be incredably dramatic when those corals take off. Each polyp and shroom will be like a little explosion of color on that deep black background. I'm really looking forward to more pics as it grows!

Grats on getting it all together! =)

kribbz said:
where did you get that sand it is awesome looking. i think it would be cool to have a tank with the black sand.

That is 340 lbs of CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand. Had the LFS special order it....Because we work there on the weekends, he gave it to me at an "internet" price and I didnt have to pay shipping. Otherwise there is no way I would have done it :)

Tank looks great!

Reefrunner, Jblitz did build a canopy. I am a close freind of his. I do not know all the details but I know he made a frame, then covered it with a thin wood. He had to do some bending for the front piece, I think he placed it between two studs for a while, and might have used water to get it to bend. I will PM to look at this thread and maybe he will explain further.

i can tell you how i built mine if your interested in building one, the curved part is a real pain and i almost gave up a couple of times on it. but anyway let me know if i can help you with it.
Jason

Thanks for the offer of help, Jason. If we decide on doing this, I will definitely send you an email. I heard oceanic has just a "shell" of a canopy..I may just see how much they want for it. We are not real good with DIY stuff ;)

tank looks beautiful is there a downside?

love the look of the black will it cause the tank to hold more heat from the lights? let me know if you come up with any issues that would make you rethink this i may go with the black on my new tank.

I have thermometers at the top and bottom of the tank..at this point in time the lights are definitely keeping the top of the tank warmer than I like.

Back
Top Bottom