Fire shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angiorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I have a 30 gal sw with just a royal gramma and a green chromis along with the fire shrimp. I am waiting for a pair of clowns. I would like to add 2 or 3 peppermint shrimp to the mix. Would this be OK?

My LFS told fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and peppermint shrimps get along, maybe someone else can chime in. I only have the fire shrimp, dont really like the looks of the others xD

I have a pair of peppermints and a coral banded shrimp. The CBS doesn't like the peps getting close to him, but they stay out of each other's way and all is well. And that's in a 16 gallon tank. I've heard of others with really aggressive shrimp, though. You never know for sure.

I have a blood red and a banded coral and they don't bug one another. They each stay on their sides of the tank. Not sure about the peppermint shrimps though.

I have a fire shrimp and one peppermint shrimp. They get along fine. The fire shrimp chases the peppermint off from his side of the tank but that's it.
I'm panning on adding a goby and a red pistol shrimp soon.

I have both a fire shrimp and 2 peppermints. They get along just fine.

I really love my fire shrimp. Is it possible to just add another fire shrimp or does in HAVE to be a different kind?

I've read they don't do well in pairs they are pretty territorial. I would agree that would be the case in a small setup but in a 4 footlong tank i would say, they would be fine. mine stays in one area and that would make me think that would be ample room

Last edited:
Mine has his little ledge with an overhang picked out and he rarely leavs it so I think you would be okay.

I added a cleaner shrimp yesterday and everyone seems happy. Each shrimp has claimed his own side of the tank :) Thanks for all of the input!

How is your royal gamma with the shrimp? I just took mine back to the fish store yesterday because it was attacking the shrimp and other fish in the tank. I went through 2 clown fish before I realized it was the royal gamma. Does anyone else have issues like that with the royal?

My royal stays in my rockwork 99% of the time. She comes out when I feed or if I shut off the flow. Not sure she likes all the flow in my tank LOL

Back
Top Bottom