First post / new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok never mind I already read it and its what I thought I just wanted to make sure. Metal halide is what ill be using then so that should be plenty of light I would say but let me know if I'm wrong. I have a 600 watt too so I could use that but I'd rather not bc my 400 is self ballasted and I don't feel like trying to hook up my other ballast somewhere high up in my new place.

Metal halide is the right choice (vs HPS), but you are going to want to change out the lamp for something with a higher kelvin. Probably something in the 14k-20k range. Also, a 400 watter is way more than you need, and you are going to have trouble bleaching out/killing corals, and heating up your water. I would look to a T5 unit or LEDs.

Metal halide is the right choice (vs HPS), but you are going to want to change out the lamp for something with a higher kelvin. Probably something in the 14k-20k range. Also, a 400 watter is way more than you need, and you are going to have trouble bleaching out/killing corals, and heating up your water. I would look to a T5 unit or LEDs.

So I shouldn't use the hid. But I have a 250 too so I guess I could use that.

Even so, it's a bit much for a 20 long, and then there's the length of the tank to think about. Your tank is 30" if I'm not mistaken. A typical metal halide pendant is good for about a 2 x 2 area. It's not going to be evenly lit unless you raise it way up and then you are going to be blinded while you view your tank.

Even so, it's a bit much for a 20 long, and then there's the length of the tank to think about. Your tank is 30" if I'm not mistaken. A typical metal halide pendant is good for about a 2 x 2 area. It's not going to be evenly lit unless you raise it way up and then you are going to be blinded while you view your tank.

Ok well then I guess I won't go with the hid light. Will the marine land reef capable light system work well or no? I've looking at some lights and I know I won't actually need then for about two months so ill prolly spend like 175

I did see those ones. But I was looking at a couple different ones. Those come from over seas and I don't wanna order that exact one. I'd like to order those kind of led panels though. What you would recommend for wattage?

Ok so I have found the light I will be purchasing for my tank.( hopefully) my only questions are... Is it a good enough light? And it's only 15.7 inches long and my tank is 30 inches so if I raise it up alittle over the tank will the corals and fish have sufficient lighting?

Attachments

• image-602270442.jpg
    image-602270442.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 53
Just ordered my other power head. I decided to go with two just seemed like the best thing to do. I got the same one I already have the maxi 400 110gph. I hope two of those is good enough plus the blower head off the cannister.

The tao's will let you keep most any kind of coral and yes if you raise the light it will light the whole tank i have 3 over an 8 foot long tank and keep SPS coral on the sand with no problem. Those maxi's wont give much flow IMO there way over rated as to how much flow they out put

The tao's will let you keep most any kind of coral and yes if you raise the light it will light the whole tank i have 3 over an 8 foot long tank and keep SPS coral on the sand with no problem. Those maxi's wont give much flow IMO there way over rated as to how much flow they out put

Thanks for the info. I'd have to this is one of the best forum sites I've used and get good quick info.
But anyway I'm just use the power heads I have for now since I just wasted my money haha. And I guess well see how they do and if I need a different one I pick one up later. I plan on being very patient with this bc I'm not a patient person so I'm making myselfz

So how much sand am I going to need and what kinda of sand? I kinda wanted to mix up crushed coral with sand..can I do that?

How deep of a sand bed do you want? No, It's a bad idea to mix large grains in with finer grain sand. The larger grains will eventually work it's way to the top and it will trap lots of uneaten food and fish poop and will need regular maintenance. Finer grain sand never has to be bothered with. 15 pounds will give you roughly an inch.

How deep of a sand bed do you want? No, It's a bad idea to mix large grains in with finer grain sand. The larger grains will eventually work it's way to the top and it will trap lots of uneaten food and fish poop and will need regular maintenance. Finer grain sand never has to be bothered with. 15 pounds will give you roughly an inch.

Yea Im just gunna go with the sand ill get a 20 pound bag of that and then 20 pounds of dry rock and hopefully start the cycle soon

And should I put the rocks on top of the sand or on top of the glass

Back
Top Bottom