Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read mixed things about flame angels and how they can and can't be reef safe. Has anyone had any experience with them? What type of corals have they been known to nip at?

I just had to tear apart my entire reef a few weeks ago to catch my flame. It took a liking to my xenia colonies. It almost destroyed one coloney all together. I also saw it nip at my hahiry mushrooms and zoos. None of the angels are considered reef safe. It is realy a gamble to see if you get one that likes corals or not. I do think eventually, you will have a problem. Even if the fish is just nipping at the corals and not really harming them, they wil have tendecy to stay closed up and not thrive. If it were me, I would skip it. Just too much work and stress.

I belive we have a flame angel profile in our profiles area. I have had two. My first was very lethargic and didnt live beyond 2-3 weeks after getting. The second I have had for over 9 months now and I havnt seen it touch any of my corals.

I know someone who has had three or four flames. The last flame they had was a coral nipper and had to be removed.

Back
Top Bottom