From diatoms to hair algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I have a 65 gallon tank with 65# of live rock. I added 10 bumblebee snails and 2 electric hermits. I got a diatom bloom which is now decreasing. My tank has been set up since May 9 but I just got the lighting 3 weeks ago. My schedule is blue actinics on 9 hours, 2 175 watt 10,000 k halides on 5 hours a day. I added 5 cerith snails, 5 narrissus (sp?) snails, and 8 dwarf zebra hermits. (thanks to all your fine advice) I now am getting real fine hair like algae on my rock and acrylic sides. I am going out of town for a week and do not plan on running the halides while I am gone. ( I do not have my fans yet and I do not want a fire!) Should I leave the sides of the tank alone, the critters do not seem to be eating it? Will it go away while I am gone in absence of halides? Should I have someone feed the critters while I am gone, or will the live rock suffice?

I am obviously nervous about leaving my tank for a week, that is why we do not have any fish yet! 8O

Get a royal urchin, these will eat hair algae and and other algae in your tank. About the feeding, I dont think that anything will die without food for the week, and you right they will find food in the live rock and such.

Thank you, because the hermits and snails do not seem to be touching anything they are supposed to be eating! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom