going down to coast soon, can i bring anything back ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going down to the coast soon, is there anything i will be able to bring back home to put into my saltwater aquarium (that will survive)?? i was thinking of perhaps a couple of starfish and maybe if i can get one a small octopus ?? will these survive in tank conditions and are they at all reccomended ??

Help needed to be appriciated !!

:D :?:

I highly doubt an octopus will survive, they dont survive well in captivity, and if it inks while in transit theres no way it will survive.

Maybe shipping would be an option. I have thought this through for myself already. I planned on bagging packaging and shipping mere hours before I get on the plane to go home, then I'll just sit and wait for the package.

Octopus are expensive...

They sell little 1 1/2" ones on the net for like $50!!!!

A local LFS was selling a fair sized octopus that I would estimate to be approx. 5-6" across (the head/body part, not including tentacles) for about $70. Seems to me like a good deal since it wasn't one of those miniature tiny ones and would look awesome in a display species only tank. However, since they require so much attention, I'm not really interested, although maybe some day in the future when my savings account has more than $5 in it. :wink:

STAY AWAY FROM BLUE RING OCTOPI!

PLEASE! They are extreeeeeemly dangerous and if they sting you, you will likely die. It paralizes you within seconds. Stay away from them, they are really common in fish stores etc, they are cought regularly, even thought they are so dangerous.

Dont be stupid buy a safe smart, escapable one... one that will crawl out and eat your cat or something... :)

blue ring octopus' are like the most poisonous creatures on earth (i think)! - and octopus' cannot be that expencive - i was thinking of one of the ones they capture + kill for food (i mean they dont cost much) - i was thinking of asking to buy one before they kill it !?

someone told me octopus only live for a year. Im not sure if this is true but I know you have to have a dedicated tank for them and you have to seal up the tank other wise they will crawl out.

What about shipping beach sand from the actual coast? Would that work, or do you run the risk of inadvertently introducing harmful chemicals? It would be great for a DSB, and I live about an hour from the beach..hmm. I'm taking orders, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom