good food for a herbivor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
what is a good food for a yellow tang? its eating algae and brine shrimp and mysis shrimp right now but im looking too add some more greens into its diet, do you know of any good foods, preferabley frozen or live.

Nori (seaweed) is what a lot of people on here feed their tangs. I also believe they feed them lettuce, spinach, etc...

the seaweed is dried i was told to put some of those little glass stones in a corner of the aquarium because alage will grow on them easily. so far the kole has not noticed :?

You have a Publix near by, FF? That is where I get mine. Its about $1.25 + tax for 5 sheets.

Publix is a rather large grocery store chain.

Ahh. You are in Virginia. Yeah Publix only has stores located in the Southeast.

We feed our Yellow Tang (& Purple Tang, & Hippo Tang) the following ....

Our homemade food
Nori on a clip (we get it from the site the FF referenced)
Dulse (another type of seaweed, also from the same etailer)
baby spinach leaves
organic romaine leaves
OSI Spirulina flake
OSI Spirulina nibblers

Obviously not all at the same time. :) The tank gets fed our homemade food daily, and we offer Nori, dulse & the lettuce/spinach on a clip 3x-4x week. Heavier on the Nori/Dulse, light on the spinach/romaine. All "clipped" food is soaked in Zoe vitamins.

Other stuff (spirulina flake, etc.) is offered sparingly maybe once weekly.

I truly believe that a varied, vegetable-based, vitamin enriched diet is very important for Tangs. Both our YT & PT have been with us over 4 years now.

HTH,

ReefLady said:
We feed our Yellow Tang (& Purple Tang, & Hippo Tang) the following ....

Our homemade food
Nori on a clip (we get it from the site the FF referenced)
Dulse (another type of seaweed, also from the same etailer)
baby spinach leaves
organic romaine leaves
OSI Spirulina flake
OSI Spirulina nibblers

Obviously not all at the same time. :) The tank gets fed our homemade food daily, and we offer Nori, dulse & the lettuce/spinach on a clip 3x-4x week. Heavier on the Nori/Dulse, light on the spinach/romaine. All "clipped" food is soaked in Zoe vitamins.

Other stuff (spirulina flake, etc.) is offered sparingly maybe once weekly.

I truly believe that a varied, vegetable-based, vitamin enriched diet is very important for Tangs. Both our YT & PT have been with us over 4 years now.

HTH,

yeah that helped a lot im going too try and pick up some of that sea week asap for my tang, its my favorite fish in the tank.

Order your stuff at BIGALSONLINE.com. they are the cheapest people in the world & they sell 100 sheets of Algae for 20 BUcks. Also, for every thing you order, you get pionts towards money off your next order.

Back
Top Bottom