Green Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know there are a few "methods" out there but the two I know most about are either hand removal which can be a pain if you have a bigger tank or you could buy a few turbo snails... they eat most types of algea including green hair algea! I would much rather go with the snails buts its up to you I guess! Good luck

Petco/Petsmart had a good alge remover.. "Api".. We have used it and it works great.. In a few days is gone..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have it bad , how do I get rid of it.

The first thing to do is identify the source (unless you want to keep getting more of it.) A chemical solution is only a bandaid, but it will grow back.

What is your feeding schedule? Photoperiod? Any direct sunlight on your tank? Po4 or No3 readings?

What's your tank size, skimmer, sump size, and bioload? You need to narrow down the cause to stop the effect.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's your tank size, skimmer, sump size, and bioload? You need to narrow down the cause to stop the effect.

28 gallon nano cube
No skimmer
4 fish
No sump
Lighting on 16 hours

Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0

Way way too much light, may want to add a skimmer, it will greatly help with nutrient export. How much live rock do you have, and can you add either a sump or refugium?

What are you using for a filter by the way?

What are you using for a filter by the way?

1 HUGE SPONGE
1 small sponge
2 medium sponges
1 carbon bag
1 ceramic rings bag

In the back of my nano cube

Are the lights old (they put out poorer quality light as some age) and any reason for such a prolonged light period daily?

Are the lights old (they put out poorer quality light as some age) and any reason for such a prolonged light period daily?

Yes lighting are of age
Will cut down on lighting

Any chance you can replace the bulbs, that may help also?

Unless they are a very poor quality to start, they would have to be very old to degrade enough to be the problem. My best guess, combo of high nutrients, too much light, and algae being algae. Reduce feeding some, cut the lights down (at highest intensity, I think mine are on four hours, but the lights run 10 hours a day, not including moons ) and a skimmer would help also. I've had good luck with someone called matrix, it removes most of the things that help cause algal growth, and might help you catch up with it. Get rid of what you can by hand, or scrub under water (I'd scrub in the water I took out for a wc ) with a tooth brush or the like. Some urchins eat it also, my pencil is a lawnmower lol

That was supposed to read with something called... Not someone called. .got to love auto spell lol

I read your thread I had the same problem before.The best bet is to have a good clean up screw add emerald crabs and tangs. They clean the tank really well!!

No tang should go in a bio, there simply isn't the room. This will help get it in check, but you still need to fix the source or it will just keep happening

Get the green machine uv sterilizer $80 at petsmart and a cleaning crew! I have 20 snails in my 90G and the AquaC Remora Skimmer$250 Also add good quality live rock!

-Weekly water changes with the purest water possible (RODI).
-Scrub with toothbrush
-Siphon/manual removal the most possible
-Nutrients control (maybe you're overfeeding)
-Clean everything

- Cut back on lighting, depending on your setup, and light type and power. Consider running a timer on the light too.

-Nitrates/phosphates monitoring and control via accurates tests like RedSea.

-GFO (Granulated ferrous oxide in a reactor)
-GAC (Granulated activated carbon in a filter/reactor)

-Don't use canisters for filtration.

-Clean the sump/protein skimmer

-Vodka dosing (with wet skimming) if you have a double size rated skimmer.

-Change your salt for a higher reef salt grade if you're using a cheap one...

Also if your water is green, consider buying a UV sterilizer.

- Make sure there's no direct sunlight on the tank at any moment of the day too...

Back
Top Bottom