Hello Aquariumadvice.com Users / First Question (Lighting)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USsoldier

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Let me tell you about myself before I post my first question. I am an Army soldier that is currently deployed to Iraq. I have been interested in the saltwater reef hobby for some time, but you can see why I have not been able to start. It is a blessing of sorts. I have had the opportunity to do a decent amount of research. I have read 8 books on the subject and done much surfing. I have an understanding of the basics, but I have many questions. I will appreciate any input that you have on my questions. It is nice being part of the group. I look forward to many good discussions and conversations.

My first question is on lighting. I have read in many publications that the recommended amount of lighting for a reef tank is around 5 watts per gallon. I have recently read a book, the name escapes me at the moment, that had many successful tanks and their reviews. The average watts/gallon of these tanks were from 8 to 10. What is the correct wattage per gallon for a tank that will be used to grow SPS, LPS, and soft corals?

Thanks,
Bo

WPG is not a very good way to determine lighting as it does not take tank depth and light penetration into account. 5WPG may be fine for a 12" tall tank, but woefully inadequate for a 24" tank. On my 20g reef I have between 13-15 WPG of MH and PC (too lazy to do the math right now) for an SPS reef tank. Alot will also depend on which animals your going to keep.

3x250w MH with PC or T5 actinics would be a good solution for that tank.

As kevin said, it really depends. I have a 72 gal. bow front tank with 260 watts of PC lighting. I am successfully keeping many soft corals, xenia, leathers, zoos, polyps, LPS, rose BTA. I do want more lighting in the future but all seems happy and healthy now. I did romove the glass top from my tank so I get better light penetration. MH upgrade is in the future though. WELCOME TO AA!! :D :D :D Thanks for your service over in Iraq, the world is a better place because of people like you. Stay safe...Lando

Back
Top Bottom