Help choosing Ro/Di unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmaida17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys.. I've been looking a little bit here and there for these ro/di systems and finally going to break down and buy one. I have a 30 gallon saltwater for now but plan on upgrading to 75 or 100 one of these days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Look at the features, there are only about 3 manufacturers of the actually filters in the world so really all your paying for is the extra features like a TDS meter or flush kit, the filter housings and hosing is all the same look for a seller that has good instructions and good warranty and support. Bulk reef supply is good, I bought mine from eBay and it was a little cheaper but I had to buy a couple things seperately that some of the BRS filters come with. I bought a 5 stage RO filter with a 3g tank and faucet for $130, I added another stage for DI (+$20) , then a dual TDS meter (+$25) then I bought a better tap to tap into my existing waterline (+$10 at lowes) because I talked to some people about it and they said that those cheap self piercing taps are prone to leak so I bought a nicer metal tap from the hardware store. I'm pleased , so for around $185 I got a little better setup than the BRS filter for the same money, I like having the tank so I have a couple gallons on demand and it fits nicely under my sink.

View attachment 109034

image-2119581776.jpg

This is the exact filter setup that I got and it's actually a little cheaper now. Like I said add a $20 deionizing resin cannister and a TDS meter and you'll have a better setup for less money and it's very easy to install took me about 45 minutes and I'm not really a handy man. And adding that stuff on is easy since like I said all the filters are the same the add on stuff hooks right up.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190450639900&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=82665412915

Here's the DI stage that you would need to add to that kit that I listed, with just reverse osmosis alone you get about 6-16 TDS depending on your tap water, add the DI stage and you get 0tds.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110684422686&index=22&nav=SEARCH&nid=28247699352

And add a dual online TDS meter to monitor your filter performance, so you know what water is going in and how well your filters are working when it comes out, and will let you know when it's getting time to change the filters, because If you change them just every year, they may still be good or they may need to be changed every 6 months without a TDS meter there's no way to know.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251067479902&index=23&nav=SEARCH&nid=11325494147

Thank you very much! ! That was very useful. Now hopefully it helps my Nitrates levels bc idk what else it could be lol

Back
Top Bottom