HELP!Murder mystery...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IbiAquariums

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Murder mystery...

In the photo below are all the fish in my DP tank, all but the comet grouper (spotted Blk/Wht) as he's a hider but in there somewhere.

Basically my pulsing Xenia coral started dying off for some unknown reason a long time ago, but this piece hung in there, and is still alive and growing well and fast again... But each time I manoeuvre it back into my DP tank, soon after I notice that it keeps closing up and bits of it look bitten, so something is going on lol!

Also have:

Algae hermit (yel/grn) crabs 4
Blu/Blk legged hermit crabs 2
Tiger cowrie
Nasty snails 2
Strawberry top snails 4
Green brittle star 1
Cucumber 1
Oranges lipped conch 1
Sand dollar 1
Turbo snail 2

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437055670.259150.jpg

And here is the damage (left side of Xenia)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437055711.122260.jpg

Any ideas people.... Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good eye and good call.

Yh all the fish are in the photo, Yellow tang, Copperband butterfly, 2Chromis, Humbug Damsel, Powder Blue tang..

Taken on bored thank you.

Powder tang?! He's hovering closest out the lot lol.

Hopefully catch something in the act.

My money would be on the butterfly as coral polyps are one of it's primary foods.
They are NOT "reef safe".
after that the next likely suspect would be the powder blue.

I do not see a Copperband Butterfly in the pic above, if you are talking about the Butterfly thats in the pics, thats a Merten's Butterflyfish, not a Copperband. If it were a Copperband, I'd say you'd be safer with that one, and not the Merten's.
Merten's Butterflyfish, Atoll Butterflyfish, Chaetodon mertensii

actually I'm pretty sure it's a pearlscale and not a Merten's.
It doesn't have the distinct striping that a Merten's has, but rather the diamond pattern of a pearlscale, that and the fact that pearlscales are considerably more common/available.
But considering they are first cousins and they both eat coral polyps, the verdict remains the same.

^^, It very well may be the Pearlscale. got get a full on shot, to really see the stripes. either way, its a Buttfly in a Reef, and thats iffy to say the least.

Approx a year ago when I purchased the butterfly, the fish keeper told me it was a pearlscale copperband, who was I to argue lool. I think I may have a better clearer angled pic (below).

However a year ago when my Xenia was a mammoth, I fragged it, sadly I've not got a pic of the Xenia. I still had the butterfly but never noticed a thing, maybe because my Xenia was just so huge growing like mad I missed any tell tale signs.

I use to frag and sell it on. You can see the butterfly a little better below.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437085894.779406.jpg

I'm on night watch at the moment hoping to see some activity lol... Wish me luck hahaha!

Butterflys are dangerous to corals, they can pick at them at any time. There are a couple of them out there that do well, but for the most part, not good.
Not a Copperband though, just a Pearlscale Butterfly.

Finally.... I've seen the culprit in action. However it was during the day today while the lights were on. I was walking past and caught my powder blue tang biting at my pulsing Xenia. The cheeky sod him lol. I newit, he was acting so shady, he would give me that side/corner suspicious eye look lool. Still it's very interesting with all the views on the pearl-scale butterfly though, the thing is... He also may well be nipping, it's just that I haven't seen him......YET!!

Anyway I have now created a safer haven for my Xenia to continue it's journey back to it's original size lol, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do when it's time for my Xenia to head back down into my deep sea once again.

Decisions decisions.

I have had the same symptoms on my Xenia and I have a hippo tang so this could be my problem I'll keep an eye on her! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom