Hello - thank you and Help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieJen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Newbie here having just set up a 40 Breeder and a 20. I run a non-profit dog-rescue and needed something to chill me out and another interest other than dogs..... so fish became my therapy :)

After two agonizing months of the non-fish cycle, spending hours reading questions, answers and advise on this forum I received my first fish, snails and shrimp for my 40B

9 Black Kuhli loach
2 Paleatus Cory's
7 Otocinclus cat fish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
8 Mystery Snails
20 Blue Dream Neo Shrimp - although only seen 9 so far.

I had ordered more cory's but they were out of stock and didn't let me know so I could choose a different kind, but plan on getting more. The two were doing the shimmering about 4-5 days ago, I didn't see the "T" part, but wasn't watching them all the time. Also from what I have seen they dot their eggs all over.

These, if they are eggs, seem to be in a sack like thing, I am thinking possibly the mystery snails, but thought they only laid their eggs outside of the water.

Any ideas as to what they are and what I need to do with them?

Thank you in advance and thank you so much for everyone who participates in this forum, I cannot tell you how helpful it has already been.

Jen :)

This morning I noticed this at the top of the tank. I don't have the best phone to take pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_094324430.jpg
    IMG_20221212_094324430.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221212_100652849.jpg
    IMG_20221212_100652849.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20221212_094512867.jpg
    IMG_20221212_094512867.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20221212_102043124.jpg
    IMG_20221212_102043124.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
Vanished

Well the mysterious stuff has vanished.

I am thinking a snail must have knocked it off, or gobbled whatever it was up as it is no longer there.

Still curious as to what it could, most likely have been.

thanks!

I’m curious too! It looks like jellyfish aliens invaded your tank. I have never seen anything like that. I’m sure someone here will have a good ID. I don’t like or have snails, but thought they were bottom feeders or ate off the tank walls, not at the surface. Maybe they are some kind of hitch hiking food source from when you got your new fish?

Hi everyone,

Newbie here having just set up a 40 Breeder and a 20. I run a non-profit dog-rescue and needed something to chill me out and another interest other than dogs..... so fish became my therapy :)

After two agonizing months of the non-fish cycle, spending hours reading questions, answers and advise on this forum I received my first fish, snails and shrimp for my 40B

9 Black Kuhli loach

2 Paleatus Cory's

7 Otocinclus cat fish

1 Bristlenose Pleco

8 Mystery Snails

20 Blue Dream Neo Shrimp - although only seen 9 so far.

I had ordered more cory's but they were out of stock and didn't let me know so I could choose a different kind, but plan on getting more. The two were doing the shimmering about 4-5 days ago, I didn't see the "T" part, but wasn't watching them all the time. Also from what I have seen they dot their eggs all over.

These, if they are eggs, seem to be in a sack like thing, I am thinking possibly the mystery snails, but thought they only laid their eggs outside of the water.

Any ideas as to what they are and what I need to do with them?

Thank you in advance and thank you so much for everyone who participates in this forum, I cannot tell you how helpful it has already been.

Jen :)

This morning I noticed this at the top of the tank. I don't have the best phone to take pictures.
Hello, just tossing this out there. Do you think it a water spider nest(diving bell spider. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!Screenshot_20221212-150337.jpgScreenshot_20221212-150306.jpg

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum :)

The clear stuff is probably mucous that lifted off something in the tank. Maybe it came off a plant or driftwood. The filter probably sucked it up. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see more, then post more pictures and video of it.

You need a picture on the back of your tank to make the fish feel more secure. Some floating plants will also encourage the catfish to come out more. They are naturally nocturnal (come out at night) and you have light coloured substrate and lots of light. So they will hide during the day. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) will shade the tank and the fish will feel safer and be more likely to come out during the day.

I'm not sure if you have actual driftwood in the tank but suckermouth catfish like bristlenose and Otocinclus need driftwood and algae to help their digestion. You can leave the lights on for up to 16 hours a day to encourage algae to grow. Ideally you want a good layer of algae, driftwood and biofilm (slime on the glass) before you add algae eating fishes and snails. If they don't have enough algae and biofilm, the Otocinclus can starve.

You have lots of rocks along the back. If these are in the tank, make sure you can see around and behind them to check to bodies, uneaten food and gunk that will build up there.

-----------------

Good for you for taking care of unwanted dogs. :)

Do you rescue big, small, medium or any breed of dog?

Back
Top Bottom