home depot PVC and/or tubing reef safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
like the title states, is the home depot pvc and tubing reef safe? The guy @ the home depot that was helping me out told me not to use it (fellow aquarist). He told me to go to my local pond store and get the pvc and/or tubing from there

Schedule 40 PVC is perfectly safe for aquariums. So is the regular purple primer and PVC cement. I use it on all my tanks.

I agree, you need to wait till it is fully dry witch doesn't take long. You should also run the water to flush any particles out of the line into a drain or bucket to be safe. Not a Biggie if you forget tho because I've forgot and it didn't hurt anything. It's more for best practices ;)

Last edited:
I want to say that you want to wait an hour for the primer and glue to dry. But like stated above, make sure you flush it out to get any leftover particles out of it. I just took a dry cloth to them after cutting the pieces, but that is best practice to get a good solid hold as well as minimize crap you need to flush out.

+1 to the above. I made a spraybar for my 75 reef out of the stuff and have used plenty of the vinyl hose and the braided hose in my tanks.

If you're doing very many cuts, I also highly recommend investing in an inexpensive PVC cutter instead of sawing. In my experience, the cut is cleaner and squarer and there are no shavings (PVC dust) to clean up at all. Plus, it's faster and safer.

We use the standard PVC for the plumbing and the really big pcs for hiding in the QT. everything is still alive several years later. You should be good.

Back
Top Bottom