How come i feel the need to overfeed, do you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am totally an overfeeder. I can't help myself. Luckily my parameters on my tanks are normal. I overfeed like a fiend some days too. :)

Youre not alone. They just look so hungry all the time.

My infrequency of feedings (Every 3-4 days) gives me a little leeway to overfeed, I just try to make sure my blenny gets some food since my doesn't really go after it much

Yeah, clowns look so pathetic. I try to do every other day, but I say, well a few pellets won't hurt. :)

I have to admit I fight hard not to give my fish a little snack every day lol

It`s best to get into the groove of not overfeeding. I feed mine once every other day. Stick with what you need to do and not let your emotions take over or one day you`ll be posting a thread that says either "Why are all my fish dead" or "Why is my tank full of algea". I dont want to write either of those hence my every other day feedings. I know that is blunt but I can assure you it`s true.

At least im not the only one... if it wasn't for my scooter blenny who moves slower then a electric shoping cart at walmart i would fill the urge ... but what can i say.. like most posters they always come up to the top like their hungry when i walk by...

Rscomia said:
I thought I was the only that thought fish need 3 meals a day LOL

Alittle flake in the morning ..pellets for lunch and nice helping of brine for dinner.

Alittle flake in the morning ..pellets for lunch and nice helping of brine for dinner.
Of course!!! I have actually had to make myself feed every other day seems to help with a algae problem I had But I was like lots of people and felt my little fishys needed to eat their vegetables LOL

I'm doing better, I only feed twice a day now on my big sw. On the cube i'm still feeding 3x, trying to get the scooter to eat more food. :)

Does anyone know a rule of thumb such as food must be gone with a minute, two minutes etc?

I just got done over feeding again, I know I will be doing a water change probably tomorrow because of this. I think I'll go back to feeding every other day as I was.

I've trained myself to only feed the critters every other day,..but it's tough sometimes when they see you walk by and they come to the top of the tank and start swirling around begging for you to feed them,..sometimes I'll cheat just a little bit and add a little piece of nori to their clip.

Does anyone know a rule of thumb such as food must be gone with a minute, two minutes etc?

It's hard to guage exactly what the number is, but the suggested diet quantity for the long term health and happiness of your fish is 75% of satiation. (That goes for humans too). Satiation basically means: to satisfy (an apetite or desire) fully.

Some fish need to be fed more often, others are adapted to less frequent feedings. If you feed daily it's a good idea to give your fish regular breaks from feeding. A day off from eating once every week or two will allow their digestive systems recuperate and will be benificial to most fish.

All this advice is general, and specific fish may have different requirements.

I like feeding my fish really small meals and i feed sometimes two flakes or a pellet or whateven wait for em to eat it then feed a bit more wait to eat so on so on till there all fed, that way none gets wasted and even if a bit they usually get it after, makes it more fun if do it slow if got time, handfeedings cool too i do this for all fish if im doing nothing else

i feed my fish 2-4 times a day.... each time only a little, they devour the food in under 30 seconds.

Yeah, I noticed my clowns and chromis act hungry all of the time. It's a bit discouraging to watch because i want to enjoy watching the tank and not be thinking they are hungry.

I feed twice a day. Pellets in the morning and brine shrimp at night.
If I cut back on the feeding will they act more satisfied?

Back
Top Bottom