How much do inverts add to bio-load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltWaterNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to set up a 10g tank soon since I have to put my 29g project on hold and I am thinking of doing an invert/softie tank rather than having any fish. I was just wondering how much inverts add to the bio-load compared to fish? My invert list is not been made but will include a shrimp or two and at least several porcelain crabs and a few snails for clean up. On the fence about hermits but most likely will not have any. If the load would not be too great I might throw in another crab if there is not any problems with fighting or picking at corals. I am still researching the livestock list so nothing in stone yet except for the porcelains.

Crabs would likely pick off an unsuspecting shrimp (I have had this happen a few times ) Shrimp would add very little if any bioload to your tank , they are unlike fish with the metabolisum . I would say you could safely do all sexy shrimps or all cleaners or some type of peppermint shrimp do us caution with peppermints as they can pick at feather dusters and some corals and watch out for cammel shrimps they closely look like peppermints and will eat corals and are not reef safe . For a bit of added intrest you could do a goby with a pistol shrimp (if the tank is not in a bed room as the clicking is likely to keep you awake ) ..And still have a cleaner shrimp to boot

They dont add much to the bioload but you do have to worry about compatibility problems.

You think there would be a problem even with porcelain crabs since they are filter feeders? I do want a few of them so if I have to skip the shrimp I will. I would even like to get a pom pom in there too but I need to see how their compatibility is with other crabs and shrimp. I do believe they are pretty peaceful and reef safe but everyone has their own personality, even fish and crabs...lol

I am not 100% on this but you should be ok with the crabs pompom and the porcelin ones . There is a slight risk of compatability but it is low I can not give good guidence since all have there own behaviours that may make them not do well together ... But most say they should be fine together , taking into account that you have less realistate to share in a nano than what most risks/territory issues are calculated for larger tanks of 55 gallons and above ... :)

Back
Top Bottom