how often to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what it matters I feed small amounts twice a day. It seems common sense to me and comes much closer to mimicking the way small reef fish feed in the ocean( constantly picking at food sources). Groupers, eels and other predators I would handle differently. I also enjoy watching them eat. With all my hermits and coral banded shrimp nothing seems to go to waste. If the water becomes toxic atleast they will die fat and happy, the same way I plan to go.

msamsonz28 said:
why not turn off all powerheads while feeding?

corals and clams need the flow of water over them with the nutrients in it.

some also need direct feeding by using a turkey baster but they still don't like the baster being directly aimed at them--so it is good to be close and let the power head direct the food to them.

some corals retract when the water flow stops and won't feed at all

Tangster

Ziggy953 said:
I would suggest aggressive skimming when you increase your feedings...you may also need to increase the frequency of PWCs....also I would keep up with testing your water as you transition to more feedings!

its best to turn the skimmer off for one hour after feeding so mysid shrimp, phyto and zooplankton etc are recirculated.

I run a micron bag in my sump. Every other day I turkey baste the rocks etc and the uneaten food is filtered out. Normally a bag lasts every 4 days but when I baste the rock--one day. Before this I was running an algae problem on the glass--not a problem anymore.
This way you don't have to worry about over feeding.
Tangster

Back
Top Bottom