Hypothetical yellow tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I were to keep a baby yellow tang (say 2") in a three foot long 45 gallon tank, how big would it get? This is all hypothetical I'm just asking because I was wondering if it wouldn't get as big?
Thanks!

If it didnt grow then it would be stunted so thats a very bad idea. It doesnt matter if its 2 inches or 10 inches it seriously needs 6 feet of room to swim. They get stressed very easily in small tanks and can actually die. I know you dont want that. :)

What about a lemonpeel angel? Looks very similiar to a tang and I think it would fit in a 45g too

Oh I'm not talking about doing it! Never that would be cruel! I was just wondering how big it would probably get!

Hard to say, if it reached maturity it would probably get to almost normal size.

Glad you know better, I;ve seen blue tangs and yellow ones together in 29g biocubes!!! Then people wonder why they die lol

They won't get to their full size in a small confinement, in fact they won't live a percentage of their real life span. They are continuous feeders, so in a large reef, with plenty of food, they will get to full size. Don't buy any tang unless you have the proper room for it. They are getting fewer and fewer on the Hawaiian reefs, so we as reef owners have to be serious about at least trying our best to keep our live stock alive and happy. I get sad when I see a yellow tang in even a 55 gallon tank. I have three of them, they are over 4 years old and the biggest one is 5" I feed daily and they browse constantly. Some people feed a lot more, and as a result, have bigger Tangs.

slitherbomb said:
Are you telling me the blue tang and yellow tang won't work in my 14g biocube? Wat?

Your joking right? Please be joking

If I were to keep a baby yellow tang (say 2") in a three foot long 45 gallon tank, how big would it get? This is all hypothetical I'm just asking because I was wondering if it wouldn't get as big?
Thanks!

Funny you should ask. I asked this question to a guy I think is the most knowledgable guy I know when it comes to marine science. This is what he said. BTW it wont slow the growth but it will stunt the immune system and bring a shorter life.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

I bet my Tangs swim over a mile a day. They are in constant motion. My reef goes around a corner, so from a fish's point of view, they think they have more room than they actually have. They use every inch of the reef. They are not territorial in the least.

Gregcoyote said:
I bet my Tangs swim over a mile a day. They are in constant motion. My reef goes around a corner, so from a fish's point of view, they think they have more room than they actually have. They use every inch of the reef. They are not territorial in the least.

I beg to differ.... My yellow tang always smacks my maroon clown to get out of her corner lol. My maroon is bigger than her but doesn't do anything.

slitherbomb said:
I beg to differ.... My yellow tang always smacks my maroon clown to get out of her corner lol. My maroon is bigger than her but doesn't do anything.

Mine boss everyone around, but I haven't noticed they prefer any one spot on the reef. You're maroon clown is bigger than the tang? The tang is either pretty small or the clown is huge!

Gregcoyote said:
The tang is either pretty small or the clown is huge!

Or both! So how big would it likely get? 6"? And what about a regal tang? 8"? How long would they live compared to their normal life span? I know regals can live for 20 years...

Many factors, size of swimming space, diet, water quality, stress factors; like fish population. Generally, they don't get to their full size in a artificial setting, unless it is an enormous reef like at a aquarium, several thousand gallons. I have heard figures like 50% of their wild size.

slitherbomb said:
A lfs has a 9inch percula clown. He says it's been alive for like 10 years. Crazy stuff.

I have a Coral Beauty that is over 10 years now, 12 I think. He is as active as ever. These fish can live a long time and coral has no expiration date at all.

Back
Top Bottom