I believe my nem is splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my first anemone, can anyone confirm that it's splitting?

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 120
It sure does look like it. Alot of people assume that splitting is a good thing but that is not always true. When mine would do it I would always check my water parameters as they will split if they sense any trouble to keep the species going. Hopefully that is not the problem here.

It sure does look like it. Alot of people assume that splitting is a good thing but that is not always true. When mine would do it I would always check my water parameters as they will split if they sense any trouble to keep the species going. Hopefully that is not the problem here.

I hope that's not it either, the tank has been running for two years, but I'll be sure to check the params.

Your nem looks very bleached, how long have you had it and what kind of lighting do you have. Splitting is usually a survival reaction,

Your nem looks very bleached, how long have you had it and what kind of lighting do you have. Splitting is usually a survival reaction,

Had it about a week. Looks the same as it did at the Lfs. I'm running 6 t5ho + moonlight LEDs 2 blue, 2 white, 2 pink

unfortunately,a lot of people end up whit the first nem being bleached,
“bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

You appear to have good lighting, you can also try and feed it by swirling froze brine or myisis around him, the bigger the food the more energy it takes for them to digest it. When they are healthy they and under the proper lighting, they don't need fed.

Back
Top Bottom