I think that I may have an infestation of fireworms in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think that I may have an infestation of fireworms in my tank! What should I do? At first I thought they were just bristleworms but no! They're fireworms, and I can't get a CBS b/c he will kill my cleaner and peppermint shrimp, what to do?

I saw a video and they looked the same. Reddish pinkish, white "hair" tufts, largish. And I couldn't get a good pic, sorry

Swimzebras said:
I think that I may have an infestation of fireworms in my tank! What should I do? At first I thought they were just bristleworms but no! They're fireworms, and I can't get a CBS b/c he will kill my cleaner and peppermint shrimp, what to do?

I have a CBS with my cleaner shrimp and he doesn't mess with him. And the CBS is twice the size of the cleaner.

They won't come out of the rocks. Theyre light reddish pinkish with little white tufts along their sides

Ok.... Until I can do that what should I do if they are fireworms? A CBS isn't an option

They can be a real hurtful problem if when moving rock with bare hands, and you touch one. Bristles on a fire worm can sting the heck out of you and make your hand swell. The pain lasts for a while. I've read up to a week.

If you happen to brush up against one make sure you soak it in vinegar ASAP. The area will swell and feel bad even after that but not as bad.

+1
I was cleaning some LR that is cycling and wasn't wearing gloves, yesterday after I finished my finger hurt bad! My wife spent 30 minutes picking out these clear, almost microscopic barbs from my finger tip. I didn't see the culprit but I will be wearing glove from mow on!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I had the same problem. Create a trap. Using a small bottle, place some shrimp in it and leave it at night time. He will come into it (but not completely) you'll need a type of hook to pull him out of the live rock. Oh! No lights on, you will need a red light to see. You need to be quick. Best advice for the trap is make sure u tie the mouth of the bottle so you and pull it out of the water. Do not touch the worms. I had a similar problem and they ate all my shrimp and snails.

Ok, the problem is I have a ton, after I do this are there any fish that'll eat a little, to get rid of the smaller ones I miss?

Here's the crappiest picture/s of one

Attachments

• image-1539493060.jpg
    image-1539493060.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-4209573001.jpg
    image-4209573001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-931470525.jpg
    image-931470525.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 113
Back