Is my sump design acceptable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_00ryan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought baffles to build a DIY sump. It’s a 29 gal and will be the sump for a 40 gallon reef. I have a HOB skimmer (AquaMaxx HOB 1.5). Here are the baffles

IMG_0453.jpg

The right side will be where water enters, the middle a refugium, the left my return pump.

My plan is the have water drain into a filter sock and then have the skimmer hanging in the section where water enters. I am anticipating adding chemipure elite for the GFO / carbon [when necessary] but I’m entirely sure where I’ll add it. Any advice is appreciated. The baffles will be adjusted left to right a little more - I just put them in to show the anticipated order and height.

I’m not sure what I’ll do as far as dosing goes when it’s necessary. I’m thinking about a HOB calcium reaction like the AquaMaxx C-Tech T-NANO. I’d probably also put that in the section with the skimmer or refugium.

Looks fine to me. Only thing I wonder is I’m curious why you didn’t design it to have the first chamber be large enough to fit a skimmer? But That hob skimmer looks pretty good so if you’re ok with it then a big fuge should help a lot.

On the reactor what kind of reef are you planning? Softy dominated? Lps/softies? Mixed? SPS/Acro dominated? Calcium reactors can be a blessing but also a curse as they can nuke a tank especially one that small.

Looks fine to me. Only thing I wonder is I’m curious why you didn’t design it to have the first chamber be large enough to fit a skimmer? But That hob skimmer looks pretty good so if you’re ok with it then a big fuge should help a lot.

On the reactor what kind of reef are you planning? Softy dominated? Lps/softies? Mixed? SPS/Acro dominated? Calcium reactors can be a blessing but also a curse as they can nuke a tank especially one that small.

I already own the HOB and didn’t want to shell out of the money for a new one.. otherwise I’d probably go with an internal one. More room I guess.

I’m thinking of a mixed reef. Honestly I’ll probably end up going with two-part but I’m put off by the lack of trace elements and accounting for salinity.

I already own the HOB and didn’t want to shell out of the money for a new one.. otherwise I’d probably go with an internal one. More room I guess.

I’m thinking of a mixed reef. Honestly I’ll probably end up going with two-part but I’m put off by the lack of trace elements and accounting for salinity.

Back
Top Bottom