Kent marine Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a bottle of this at the LFS. Should i add it directly to the tank or to my HOB(emperor 400). My hob has activated carbon in it also.

im not sure kent's liquid calcium is the best for dosing calcium, i think kalkwasser is a better method, but i do use it as well at the time in conjunction with SuperBufferdKh because it is what i have. i dose the liquid calcium daily. i mix it with the desired amount of "topoff" water and then add the mixture to my sump. before i had a sump, i added it SLOWLY directly to the main tank with no problems. but i think predilluting it into a mixture with some topoff water helps aalot. i also add a few drips of dechlorinating stuff to the topoff and liquid calcium mix to rid the mixture of the chloride from the CaCl. not sure if this works but its what i do and my calcium levels are cool. i hear usingthis stuff can cause chloride ion imbalances and f- up the whole systems alk. next time i need to buy calcium or buffer, i am probably switching to BIONIC - i hear its a wonderful product but have never tried it.

good luck

You could add it to the HOB slowly, that's a good way if dosing things. Be careful dosing ca, by raising the ca you may end up lowering your alk. That is why a balanced 2 part additive is recommended, like B-Ionic. A low alk is just as bad or worse than low ca. You may also throw off the ionic balnce between the two. Here is a good article on the relation between ca/alk if your interested gadgets and Makana- http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I dosed my Kent Ca directly into my wet/dry return section in no more than 3tsp increments (I use a med cup dispenser). I always test my Ca and Alk together and adjust accordingly, even when I'm not using a 2 part additive.

Back
Top Bottom