Lighting and Anemoe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys,

i have a fowlr tank 55g, going well housing 2 percula clowns a humbug damsel and a yellow tailed blue damsel.

i want to start keeping anomie (sp?) but all i have is a POWER-GLO fluro tub for the tank.

is this sufficient to keep 1 anemia? or do i need to upgrade to metal halide?

thanks guys

no, normal output fluorescent aren't even good enough to house corals let alone anemones. You will have to upgrade to halides or other high output lighting.. Also you must have EXTREMELY good water conditions and do not have a great survival rate. Also your tank should be about sixth months old or more.

Stuquarium, you can do a custom MH lighting setup with 2 bulbs for around, 2 ballasts 2 bulbs and a reflector or mogul, and an extension cable for around 300 dollars . You will need around 4 watts of power or more per gallon. I just built my own lighting for my 37 reef tank that I am in the process of cycling, and it cost me 150 becuase i only needed 1 bulb and 1 ballast, reflecter and mogul. Not only does MH make your water look amazing but you can grow anything you can buy pretty much. As long as you have a decent skimmer and do your regular water changes you can easily keep an anemone. MH will be the best thing you have ever done for your soon to be reef tank. Good luck!

thats a good idea dragonforce

i'm uterly hopless at DIY though, don;t even own a power drill, so even taking off the old lighing from the hood would be a challenge!

i think i'll have to just save up, i can get a decent MH setup here for about $590AUD

Back
Top Bottom