lighting and stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLbeachbum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

When I first started my 29g tank I bought into the WPG idea. So, I set up 4x75W VHO lights in the tank with the idea that later on I would be able to get into the SPS coral. Do I have overkill on the lights? I ask because I am reading several posts that say if you dont have MH your not going to keep them, and then others that say they are up to LPS on half of what I have.

Also, I am looking for suggestions on what fish/inverts/corals to put in there. LFS talked me into getting a yellow tang and a mandarin. Both have been doing well for about 9 months now, but you all have me worried so I am giving them to a friend with a much larger tank over the weekend. So after the weekend I will have a tomato clown and a lawnmower blenny. Also have several snails and no crabs. Like everyone else I would like to have a lot of color in the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Do I have overkill on the lights?
Nope. Sounds like a good lighting setup for a reef as far as lighting.

I have SPS in my tanks and only have PC lighting. Of course the coloration and growth rates will be different than under MH lighting. You also might be limited to the top of the tank as far as placement.

Yellow tang is bad idea for a tank as small as the 29. The tang will easily get 5" in size as far as its body and tangs in general are strong swimmers that like high current and plenty of swimming room. The mandarin reguretfully unless its can be trained to eat prepaired food is also a very bad idea. Your new tank will not be able to support its natural feeding needs. Having them for 9 months is good and as long as your mandrain is eating what your offering it and has good body mass to it then it might be ok. The tang will outgrow the 29 easily though.

With the existing tommato clown and blenny I would suggest a pair of firefish, or a pair of gobies, maybe a dwarf clown like a lemon peel. The lemon peel would give you your yellow back if you remove the tang. I love flame angels but they can have some surviability issues depending on where and how they where collected.

Back
Top Bottom