Lighting for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferretttt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 24" light over my sump with a standard bulb in it, but Im sure I need better light than that. I want to allow all of the Chaeto and Pods to grow well in there.

What kind of light is suggested?

Well what are you using for a sump? Concur better lighting would be benificial, but not needed for the pods and if you have a good daylight bulb the plants should grow as well.

When you say sump are you referring to the entire thing or do yo actually have a fuge area in the sump? Without the plants there really is not need to light a sump at all. If you are runnign afuge for the purpose of growing plants to reduce nitrates then of course you want ome lighting.

Well what are you using for a sump? Concur better lighting would be benificial, but not needed for the pods and if you have a good daylight bulb the plants should grow as well.

When you say sump are you referring to the entire thing or do yo actually have a fuge area in the sump? Without the plants there really is not need to light a sump at all. If you are runnign afuge for the purpose of growing plants to reduce nitrates then of course you want some lighting.

I heard you the first time Aaron :wink: I have had good success with the Fluorex florescent flood lights. They are cheap and the bulbs come in 6.5k and 5.1k I think. They are 65 watts. They "claim" that have the same amount of lumens ouput as a 500w bulb. I run the 6.5k bulbs

Sorry for the double post. :oops: Computer locked up and I guess I hit submit twice. Been one of those days. :)

Back
Top Bottom