lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copester

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon hex tank that I want to put a metal halide pendant over. I just want to be able to add a few corals. Do I need any other lighting or will this cover it?

That depends on wat color temp bulb and whose pendant your going with...

I'd say with most 12000K bulbs and higher Kelvin temp, there is no need for more lighting, you'll get enough peaking between 400-500nm that your corals will be happy and healthy. What wattage are you going with and how deep is the tank?

that would be my other question

My tank is 22" deep. What wattage etc. would someone recommend? Seems like the more I read the more confusing it gets. Just want to do it right the first time.

Well your two obvious choices are 175W or 250W. Now the ? would be what do you want to keep in the tank?

What types of corals. Do you have some in mind that you would defiantly want?

I am mainly interested in mushrooms and polyps of some kind. Not a lot to choose from around here. Nearest saltwater fish store is 75 miles away with the next on over 150. I may have to get them online. Anyone had any luck with corals buying online and if so where would you recommend?

Power compacts would do just fine for shrooms and polyps. However, if you go with mh. Ive heard of people having a tough time with 12000k bulbs. It seems that acropora doesnt do well under bulbs with that high of a kelvin temp. You might add one pendant with a 10,000k or 6500k bulb and put a single bulb NO fixture with one actnic bulb in in JMO.

If you're going MH then a 175 is perfect for your hex. 250's are great because of the wider variety of bulbs and it's a lot more light for not much more $$. PC's will definately be OK for Mushrooms and Polyps, but very few people can stop there ;)

If you're not in a hurry, I would suggest waiting for Spring and buying coral frags from fellow hobbiests. This has three BIG advantages.

1 - The Coral is KNOWN to be able to thrive in a captive environment.
2 - Is does no damage to the natural reefs.
3 - It's a LOT cheaper

I would like to remind Reefrunner what the Kelvin temp really means, but that's another thread I believe :D

I will venture to say that Kelvin is The color temp of light. 20000k is closer to the color temp of ultraviolet if I'm not mistaking. Tim.

Back
Top Bottom